Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Sushi Loku - Mount Pleasant

Well I am behind in my writing an I apologize for that but I have been quite busy with other things going on that I have kinda put the blog on the back burner for a bit. Anywho, I am back at it writing today's review on Sushi Loku. Where Sushi Loku is now used to be a restaurant called Seb's which I wanted to try but I didn't get a chance to before it closed down. Oh well.... the must have closed down for a reason. This area on Broadway in Vancouver close to Fraser has always kinda seemed gloomy to me. It has a mix of a few restaurants along with other businesses and office buildings but it never seems to be bustling with people. I have wanted to try Pizzeria Barbarella but never get around to going because there's nothing really to do in the area afterward.

Anyways, onto what I am here to do which is talk about Sushi Loku. When you first walk in, you realize that this wasn't a sushi restaurant originally. It seems to have kept a the decor from the previously mentioned Seb's. It seems more like a coffee shop/bar feel more than a sushi restaurant. It was kinda dark inside as it didn't have many lights above the tables and PIC had to move closer to the window to have enough light to see the menu. After some time with the menu as it was both our first times at this establishment. We decided on 2 things each.

The first thing that came was PIC's Magma Roll, which had crab meat, avocado, topped with chopped scallops and served with spicy mayo and teriyaki sauce.

Magma Roll

This had a really good mix of flavours, it had a kick with the spicy mayo, sweetness of the teriyaki sauce, but most surprising was that it had kind of a charred taste to it, not in a bad way but it's kind of hard for me to describe. It's kind like the taste that it has been bbq'd or smoked or something. I can't really explain but it was really really good and surprising to both of us.

The second dish that arrived was my Super Crispy Roll, it contained 2 pieces of prawn tempura, yam tempura, crunchy yam flakes, and bits of crispy tempura batter. 

Super Crispy Roll

This for someone who loves deep fried stuff was pretty good. Decent amount of sauce on it and had a lot of the crunchy yam flakes and bits of tempura batter on top. I would order this again but I want to try their simpler stuff next time.

Next was the Takoyaki, I really like Takoyaki and try to order it when it is reasonably priced. This was under $5 for 6 pieces so it was automatic for me to order.
Takoyaki

The takoyaki was crispy on the outside but kinda soft on the inside like it was lacking some structure. I kinda like a doughier bite when I bit into my takoyaki but some other may like it like this so it's probably personal preference. Still not bad at $5 but not my most favorite.

Okonomiyaki

Last item of the evening was the Okonomiyaki, decent sized portion arrived at our table and it was pretty good, had lots of contents, not much filler batter. Good amount of shrimp and squid. Can't complain about this one, I would rather have this over the Takoyaki.

All in all good experience, kinda weird ambiance but it may be to your taste. But I will return as the food was good and it's on the way home from work. 

Score: 7.5/10
Sushi Loku on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment